Christ Hospital was founded in 1872 with a radical mission: to provide the residents of Hudson County and the surrounding areas with the finest healthcare available, regardless of race, creed or national origin. That mission is as clear today, despite the radical changes in healthcare, as it was in 1872 when most hospitals only accepted "their own" as patients.
Christ Hospital's beginnings were modest, the result of a railroad yard accident which occurred in Jersey City in 1872. A worker, also a member of St. Matthew's Episcopal Church, was severely injured, and needed immediate medical attention. Unable to obtain care in Hudson County (served then only by hospitals with other religious affiliations), the Rev. Richard Mason Abercrombie, D.D., rector at St. Matthew's took the injured worker by ferry to a hospital in Manhattan. From that day forward, Mr. Abercrombie vowed to establish an Episcopal hospital open to all in Hudson County. With the backing of the Episcopal clergy, a constitution was drafted in 1873, and "The Hudson County Church Hospital and Home" was temporarily established on Magnolia Avenue in Jersey City. A short time later, the name was permanently changed to "Christ Hospital," and the hospital continues as the only one in New Jersey affiliated with the Episcopal Diocese of Newark.
Located less than two miles from Ellis Island, Christ Hospital has always served an immigrant population. Initially, most came from Western Europe, and combating epidemics such as influenza, smallpox and polio was the hospital's early challenge. Today's immigrants come mostly from Asia, Central America and the Middle East and the hospital now is waging war on new epidemics such as AIDS, cancer and heart disease. Christ Hospital's physicians, employees and patients are natives of six continents and over 40 languages are spoken in the facility.
The hospital has its own School of Nursing, which is one of the oldest diploma schools in the state of New Jersey. In addition, Christ Hospital has a radiological technical school where students learn X-ray technology, established nearly 40 years ago. The hospital also has a family practice residency program that is affiliated with the UMDNJ school of Osteopathic Medicine.